Former fugitive Philip Patrick Policarpio, who was wanted in Los Angeles for his alleged involvement in the shooting death of his pregnant girlfriend and her unborn child, was apprehended as he entered the United States from Mexico over the Memorial Day weekend, announced Deirdre Fike, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office.
Policarpio was the 508th addition to the FBI’s “Top Ten” list and his arrest marks the 476th fugitive to be arrested after being added to the list. Policarpio was taken into custody by agents with U.S. Customs and Border Protection on the afternoon of Sunday, May 29th, as he entered the United States from Mexico at the San Ysidro Point of Entry.
“Philip Patrick Policarpio’s arrest is the result of an outstanding effort by agents with the U.S. Customs & Border Protection,” said Deirdre L. Fike, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office. “This was the second time Policarpio fled the country after being sought by the FBI and law enforcement for violent crimes committed in Los Angeles, and the public is safer now that he’s in custody again. Hopefully, the family of the murdered victims can breathe a little easier as they begin to see justice done.”
Policarpio was traveling in a pickup truck and was in possession of multiple forms of identification in various names. Evidence gathered indicates he had been residing in the Tijuana area in recent weeks.
Charlie Beck, the Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department said, “I would like to thank our federal partners who were instrumental in capturing this violent criminal. The collaboration between our Rampart Homicide investigators and the FBI enabled us to cast the net far and wide in order to catch this double homicide suspect.”
Policarpio was escorted to Los Angeles by the FBI’s Los Angeles Fugitive Task Force on Sunday and booked at LAPD early Monday morning. The federal government is expected to dismiss the federal warrant charging Policarpio with Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution (UFAP) and he will be prosecuted by the Los Angeles County District Attorney. He is expected to be arraigned in state court in the near future.
“It’s tempting to say that this is all in a day’s work for CBP officers,” said Pete Flores, Director of Field Operations for CBP in San Diego. “CBP officers in California alone stop about 2,000 people a year attempting to cross into the U.S. with active warrants for their arrest. But pointing out how often our officers encounter and catch those that would harm our communities shouldn’t diminish the keen observations and skillful work of the CBP officers at the border, who apprehended this fugitive, wanted for an egregious crime.”
The FBI’s “Ten Most Wanted Fugitives” list was established in March 1950. Since then, 476 fugitives have been apprehended or located; 157 of them as a result of citizen cooperation.
According to a criminal complaint filed in United States District Court, Policarpio and his pregnant girlfriend, Lauren Olguin, were visiting a friend’s residence on April 12, 2016, in the Rampart area of Los Angeles when Policarpio allegedly became angry with Olguin and began beating her in the face with his fists. Policarpio then pulled out a handgun and allegedly shot Olguin in the forehead, killing her instantly, according to the complaint. The allegations in the complaint are based on an investigation by detectives with the LAPD’s Rampart Homicide Division. According to witnesses, Policarpio fled from the residence and has not been seen since.
On April 19, 2016, a local arrest warrant was obtained by the Los Angeles Police Department for Policarpio in the Superior Court of Los Angeles County, California, after he was charged with murder by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. On April 22, 2016, Los Angeles County officials requested the assistance of the FBI in apprehending and returning defendant Policarpio to the Los Angeles area. On April 22, 2016, a federal arrest warrant was issued in the United States District Court, Central District of California, for Policarpio after he was charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.
On May 16, the Los Angeles County District Attorney amended the complaint charging Policarpio by adding a second count of murder of a human fetus with malice aforethought.
Policarpio is also considered a parolee at large and is wanted by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR). An arrest warrant has been issued for Policarpio by the CDCR charging him with parole violation, as Policarpio was on parole at the time of the 2016 murder for a 2001 conviction for assault with a firearm and other violations.
The underlying state case for the parole violation occurred on June 24, 2000, in Burbank, California, when Policarpio, who shortly afterward fled the country, was identified as a suspect in an incident where 9 shots were fired into a vehicle after a dispute with the occupants of another vehicle. On October 27, 2000, the FBI’s Fugitive Task Force obtained a federal warrant after Policarpio was charged with Unlawful Flight to Avoid Prosecution (UFAP). Policarpio, who was deported after being arrested by police in the Philippines in 2001, was convicted of assault with a firearm by an ex-felon and narcotics violations, and sentenced to fourteen years in prison following prosecution by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. Policarpio was released on parole in May 2015.