Bakersfield, CA. Shortly after 2 a.m. on Sunday, July 3, 2016, the Kern County Fire Department received a report of a residential fire in the100 block of Castaic Avenue, with an occupant trapped in a rear bedroom; a reinforced structure response was initiated. First arriving crews encountered a single family residence with smoke and flames within. Firefighters entered the home that was charged with smoke and a trail of flames down the hall, removed the occupant and extinguished the fire. Another resident had evacuated the house and was found in the back yard during the rescue. The patient had sustained minor burns to his hands, was treated at the scene and transported via ambulance to a Bakersfield hospital for treatment and observation. Subsequent investigation revealed that the gentleman, who was using home care oxygen assistance, had been smoking in bed. The oxygen had enriched the atmosphere so that the bed linens caught fire and flames had travelled along the breathing supply line, down the hallway to the Oxygen Generator. Most of the damage in the house was to carpet and flooring as well as to the Oxygen Generator. Total loss to the home was estimated to be approximately $3,000 with approximately $150,000 saved.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: The Kern County Fire Department would like to remind homeowners that smoking in bed is dangerous and smoking in or near an oxygen-enriched environment is especially hazardous. While oxygen itself is not flammable, it causes ordinary combustible materials to be extra flammable. ASSISTING AGENCIES: Bakersfield Fire Department; Hall Ambulance.